Monday, March 23, 2009

Mama, can you turn it up? I promise I'll dance....

It's the deal we have, you see. In order for the car's radio to play louder than I can hear her, she has to promise to do some car seat dancing. Cause' it cracks me up. And so I dance too, the two, now three of us grooving along while running errands.

We talk of other things too, some stemming from Remembrance Day: "Tell me again about the soldiers," she'll say, "What else do they help people with?"

I've explained that soldiers help people who are frightened (like, maybe from monsters? Umm, I don't think monsters, Honey). People who need help when the rains come and their houses are not made of bricks so they don't have places to sleep. Places where there might not be enough food to eat or clean water to drink and people are worried and hungry. Places where bad men might want to be the boss, and so they hurt people until the people who live there say "ok, you can be the boss, just stop hurting us" but then they don't.

It's hard, you know, to explain these things.

What's even harder is to think of a response to this when your eyes are tearing up:

"WHAT?!?" She said on Saturday as we backed out of the driveway, "two soldiers were killed???"

2 comments:

Deviated Septum said...

This post makes me sad. Only because I know I would be feeling the same way as you if I had to explain that.

Some kind of Mom said...

That is very sad. I wouldn't know what to say either. It's amazing how much they know at such a young age.