Saturday, May 1, 2010

Passing

If I were a character in Harry Potter, I'd be able to see thestrals now.

This is what I'm thinking to myself in the hospice room. Only what I'm really thinking is those scary skeleton horses, because I can't remember the official name because my father in law just died.

It was like a breath of air that wasn't, his passing.

We were all there, and then suddenly, he wasn't.

And we were all alone together in our grief.

Thank you, I told him moments earlier, for letting me be a part of this family. I am blessed, I told him, to have had you as my Pop too. We will miss you so much, I said, but we will be ok. We will always, always love you.

I'll see you again, he had told me a few days earlier, during his last words to me, I love you.

That's a promise, I had said, smiling at him over my shoulder on my way out the door.

No comments: