Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Mankin love

He'll be two in roughly three weeks. He's in the range of 30 pounds, MasterP. He loves to get dressed up in my sunglasses, road id, and his rubber boots and wave goodbye to everyone. 'Bye! He yells trying to unlock any door, 'Bye!!

And yet?

And yet. A favourite game is the baby game, played right out of the bath, when he stands naked and wet, with his arms pressed tight to his body waiting to be swaddled in his hooded towel. Ooooh, I croon to him, as I lift him, ohhh, my baaaaaby. Shhh, my baaaaaby. His head in the crook of one elbow and my other hand under his bum I hold him tight and he lays draped across my torso, his legs dangling behind us - a delighted and massive newborn.

Last night, as we pretended, his eyes started to roll. Oops, I said, look at this - he's done! C'mon manny, let's have your medicine (he was running a mild fever and could stand with a better night's sleep - thanks, Advil!) and get you ready....

My 'newborn' could only be consoled by the promise of a blanket swaddling after jammie application. And so, for the first night in years, I rolled him up and offered him round' for kisses, his chubby hand shooting out to hold his night bottle.

It's weird and delicious - two. A mix of independence and babyhood that I'm really in no hurry to end.

1 comment:

Some kind of Mom said...

So lovely. Joel still loves it when we play baby.. funny how they'll always be our babies even when they are all grown up.