Friday, December 5, 2008

hypochondria, explained

The thing about fibromyalgia is that it's got weird, wildly variable, traveling symptoms. Such that one day, you're fine. Miss some sleep, get a head cold, and you can't figure out why your hip hurts so, or your pinky finger is completely numb.

Anxiety? check. Short attention span? yup. Light hurts your eyes and vision blurry? uh-huh. Grouchy tummy? oh, yeah.

And there are occasionally conversations like this:

"Yeah. The [Florida] Keys are pretty terrific. I think we were in Key Biscayne, (of course this was 30 years ago or so - so my info is HARDLY current) but some people had a car and we ended up going to...... oh..... dang. The word..... you know, those places where fishes are?"

Right. Those. places. where. fishes. are. (It's called fibrofog - and also, an aquarium)

Sure, there's stuff I can do: I eat bran every day. Every. Day. I avoid caffeine after 3 to try to sleep heavier. I try to stay active.

I keep my spell check on all the time.

I wear sunglasses and sit with my back to the window in meetings.

The best thing I can do? Figure out how to keep a thesaurus next to me at all times. Oh, and maybe move the baby out of our room.

It might be time.

3 comments:

Deviated Septum said...

I'm starting to think I might have that. Might explain all that crazy joint pain I had at the end of my pregnancy.

Moving the baby out of your room sounds nice, I settle for getting her out of my bed!!!

Some kind of Mom said...

This might be a shot in the dark, but I've found eating too much gluten gives me 'brainfog', and some of the other symptoms you listed... I've cut it out again since getting pregnant, and noticed a big improvement.

Publius said...

Me - same behavior, but I'm just a ditz. Sigh.

Definitely boot the baby. :) You need your zzzzzs.