Sunday, September 7, 2008

Awkward

Conversation had at the reception after the funeral:

"You're the one who speaks Polish, right?"
"Me? no. I don't speak Polish."
"Well, what languages do you speak?"
"Uh, well, English, I guess, and you know, bureaucratic French, for the most part...."
"Yeah, that's what happens. My kids only speak English as well.... You were born here?"
"Uh, yeah. In Canada, you mean? Yes. I was born in Canada."
"They were born here too. Lost their language as well..."

Well, I suppose, had I ever found Polish, it'd have been a damn shame for me to have lost it.....

Does this shorter hair make me look Eastern European?

2 comments:

Some kind of Mom said...

You do NOT look Eastern European. Swedish perhaps, with that new skinny body you have.

Anonymous said...

That's funny isn't it? What a strange thing to say to someone!

Polish looking? No. I'd have to agree with wondermom on that one. I say you look pretty Brit (the good teeth/English rose complexion/educated way obviously ... not the "born in central london/drink a lot/what do you mean this top is too small?" Klah-see way!

x mindy (forgot my password so I'll be "anonymous")