Friday, September 12, 2008

Peeves - a cautionary tale

I have a peeve that makes me crazy. Makes me just about lose rational thought.

It's when I come back to my car in a parking lot and find that the person who parked in the spot next to me after I've left my car has left me a foot of clearance between my car and their unfailing SUV or minivan.

I've been known to leave nasty, sarcastic notes thanking the driver for their thoughtfulness. It's not big of me, I know. But it's better than keying their car, which I have also considered as I try to contort my body and that of MasterP to fit us into our respective seats.

But I have a new example of what not to do: yesterday, I saw someone take the lower road. Clearly, rational thought had been lost in the face of their greatest peeve.

A car was signalling a right turn from a stoplight, and, as the driver didn't accelerate in a speedy manner, the car in front of me took the opportunity to zip left in front of it. The right turning car was required to brake to avoid collision.

What happened next was nothing short of, well, mortifying for the wife who was trapped in the car with her beloved. Her beloved honked at the car in front of him. And continued to honk, never removing his hand from the horn as he tailgated the offender for 5 or 6 blocks until the offender turned off the road we were all on. Every driver stared. People walking on the sidewalk stopped to watch. Not be outdone, the offender beeped his horn and waved at her beloved as they drove away.

The last we saw of the beloved as he drove away was his middle finger, waving out the window. An over-reaction? Maybe. I mean, probably, yes. But just how long had this been building up?

No comments: