Friday, September 5, 2008

What to say, what to say?

Disjointed is the word of the week, my friends...

I've been thinking of working some occurrences into a story, but I can't think of how to do it. Thus, the gap. And the fragmented entry.

The Casa Valentine has had our three bad pieces of news over the past few days, so we're dealing with the outcomes of that. Direct members of the family Valentine are fine. It's my estranged cousin, found after a number of days in his apartment in Denver, my sister-in-law's ex-husband's new wife and their twin babies (not yet born) (got that? P and P have one of the best ex relationships I've ever seen/heard of - mostly due to their shared custody of son A), and the most difficult for us - Husband's beloved 'uncle'.

Instead of sad details of the above, I thought I might detail for you some weird things people say to me about my kids. And what I struggle to say in response:

1. At Toys-r-us, said by a friend of Grandmother Valentine: "He's all Filipino, and she's white!" (really? You say something like that? And really????)

2. At my beloved chiropractor's office: "I love their ears. Are you going to get those fixed?" (Well, they come by them quite honestly. MlleL's bobo ear is the family Valentine. What? I'm not pointing fingers, and MasterP's are quite clearly thanks to Mr. Maiden. But we don't talk about them, a) because they're not an issue for us, and b) because I don't really want them to be aware before they need to be.)

and finally, in explanation of what yesterday's meeting with Boss Lady was like:

3. An uncomfortable try at humour, said to the beautiful east-African S: "S! I think he has your eyes!"
(uh...... !!!!!!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ring those phones, baby. Ring those phones.