Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Week's roundup...

Wow. Another week gone. Seems faster and faster.

MasterP and I have another week and a half, and then he is in daycare for four half days, and then I'm back to work.

He's 11 months old today. Yesterday, he took a step on his own. He fell right away, but it's beginning! First step! Woooo!

And, of course, there was JT and Janey's birthday party on Saturday night. First, I must start with the fact that I went feeling ok about myself. I had dug out some prebaby jeans that were fitting, and a trendier shirt, a normal bra (HAH!), my 'pakey' coach bag and my new metalic ballet flats and was thinking I was doing a reasonable job of having ok bar clothes for a mother of two who's been married for nearly 8 years. I was even practicing flirting on the drive in. That's not hot, but a girl should be prepared, you know.

Sadly, I realized several things as I entered the bar: first, while I think that 8:30 is a perfect time to start drinking, apparently, it's not so cool to start before 10. Or, at least, the bar doesn't open before 10. (Luckily for me, my one drink can still be had.) As well, in the time I've been away from the scene doing things like working, having babies and stuff, bar clothes have certainly changed a bit. As I mentioned to another party goer, I'm very happy I'm no longer single. I don't think I can afford that many strapless bras. Finally? While the clothes have gotten fancier, the bathrooms are still just as grotty as they always were.

That being said, there were some definite highlights for me:

1. Seeing the folk I work/ed with and being reminded that really, they're a pretty fun gang.
2. Seeing Miss Emm and her fascinator. Dude! Way to bring it!
3. My somewhat successful forays into the world of flirting. Happily, only one conversation turned awkward such that it required the 'getting a drink' lie.
4. JT's finally calling me 'bella' too. Yay!
5. The random gentleman blocking my exit from the parking garage, who, as he wandered past me with his gang of friends, told me 'Look nice tonight!' despite my stink eye and the two car seats. Seriously, thanks. You're pretty awesome too!
6. And my favorite - Madalone, B and myself very seriously discussing what to drink. Which ended with Madalone ordering shooters and the phrase "I dunno. Six??"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Flirting? What??? That is the LAST time I host. From now on I'm watching the show (while wearing a fabulous apron, of course).

(And maybe a fascinator.)