Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Heartbreak at the Casa Valentine

So sad.

Husband's friend J has been a regular visitor at the Casa Valentine for a while now. J has been a single guy, and a giant fan of motorcycles, so the guys have been spending the occasional evening fixing stuff up after a communal dinner.

Now. J's a really good guy. He's funny, kind, loyal, helpful, and smells great. He's not quite my style, but for MlleL, he's hung the moon. He was, in fact, her special guy. She loved his visits, and lavished him with three-year-old affection each time he came, sitting next to him at dinner, sitting on him while he checked out the computer (J is also Husband's LAN guy from work), teasing him and bugging him all evening. He came to her birthday party, and calls her sweetheart.

Until last night.

Last night, J brought his special lady over, and everything was changed for MlleL.

As I tucked her into bed last night, we had this conversation:

"I'm sad."

"I know, baby. I'm sorry."

"Do you think she plays games?"

"Well, yeah, honey, I think she plays grown-up games."

"Does she have lots of toys?"

"Well, sweetheart, I guess she does."

"Grown-up ones?"

"Probably. She's a mama too. Her little girls aren't little anymore."

"They're big kids too?"

"Yeah, but you know, J still loves you."

"......"

I mean, how do you explain what she has that I don't to a three-year-old?

No comments: