Friday, May 23, 2008

The Kilborn Guernsey

I am so over the past few months of fiscal propriety. Seriously.

So today? I spent MONEY at Babies R Us. I know, not exactly the splurge you were thinking it might be, but heck. A girl's gotta start somewhere.

Made purchases necessary to move MasterP to the crib - a new mattress and the magic go-to-sleep aquarium - he's been in the rocking wooden cradle that Mr. Maiden built for us when we were babies, Bigbrother, myself and Littlesister. Mr. Maiden was so proud to bring it down to us here in Ottawa from Points North when MlleL was born (on the back of the pickup, thank you very much) for its use with the second generation... It's honestly really sad to think of our time with the cradle being done. Or that he's been sleeping by my right side for almost seven months. Amazing.

However, after months and months of frustration with the Isis (squeaky, squeaky) and recent revelations about the safety of plastics and one's babe, I made the jump away from the 'harmful' Avent and towards the more baby-friendly BPA-free Medela and their 'Swing'.

And to my bovine sisters on the farm, I say, rock on, my dears, rock on. Power to the milkers! (And heck. You could have told me how much more comfortable the whole pump with an electric motor thing was. Help a sister out, you know?)

(As a sidebar - Husband finds milking time in the living room just as fascinating as Janey does at the farm!!)

3 comments:

Some kind of Mom said...

Remind me next time I see you to tell you about my electric bovine experience. It's a doozer.

Anonymous said...

I would be more worried about harmful cribs, myself...my dad was equally proud of the crib he'd restored and decorated with teddy bear decals...until a neighbour refused it because it didn't meet safety standards. The world could have been short 3 little Emms!

Katie Valentine said...

Heh. Well, ours is second hand too, but recent second hand. And at least it doesn't mess with their endocrine systems!

And the cradle is, like most of his creations, exceedingly solid, with a very low centre of gravity. It's probably about 4 inches off the ground, so I think the Valentines are safe, if only a bit square headed.